Thursday, December 13, 2007

Without A Doubt, Read Colleen Coble

Back in September, I posted a list of books I wanted to read for the Fall Into Reading program described by Katrina at Calapidder Days. I'm an avid reader. I had twelve books on my Fall Into Reading book list, but I've read closer to thirty books since the beginning of September. I thought I'd post some book reviews in the coming days.

The book I want to discuss today wasn't even on my Fall Into Reading list, but it should have been: "Without A Trace" by Colleen Coble. I attended one of her lectures at a writing conference in late September, and her teaching style and content drove me to read one of her books.

"Trace" is a mystery/suspense/romance. I can't really pin it down. The protagonist faced two mysteries: searching for lost people and trying to identify a murderer. And all the while, she's inadvertently falling in love. (I don't want to give anything away, so forgive me for being nebulous.) The book sucked me in - I stayed up way past my bedtime because I couldn't put it down. I'll admit, I figured out the first mystery long before Ms. Coble brought it to light. But she had so much suspense, so much intrigue, I had to keep turning pages. And when the murderer's identity finally came to light, it surprised me. I'd guessed wrong on the second mystery. The book had a satisfying ending and a tear-jerking reunion, and if I say any more, I'll ruin the journey for you.

Bottom line: I recommend this book, for what it's worth.

-Sonja

No comments: