Friday, January 7, 2011

Resolutions vs. Habits

It's been awhile since I've blogged, and with the new year comes the idea of the resolution. Last year, I resolved to blog more. Oops. Failure accomplished. Experience now tells me NOT to make the same mistake this year. I will not resolve to blog more.

Instead, I resolve to change my habits. If I can institute a few new habits, maybe blogging will become second nature and I'll actually do it.

Sounds easy, but I know it won't be. To work properly, I can't pick a whole bunch of stuff I'd like to work into habits. The key is to pick one, work on it, focus on it for four to six weeks. After that habit's been formed, I can work on another.

In my writing life, I've decided to work on my dialogue techniques. Hopefully, by pairing my study of dialogue with blogging, I'll accomplish my goal of making blogging a habit.

For what it's worth.

-Sonja

No comments: