Thursday, July 21, 2011

Five-Stage Writing Cycle

Today over at The Kill Zone, writer Meg Gardiner is the guest blogger. One sentence jumped off the blog and got me laughing, so I have to share with you.
She casually mentioned the 5 stage writing cycle. I'd never heard of this before. I've heard of the 5 stages of grief (denial/isolation, anger, bargaining, depression, acceptance), but not the writing cycle. Then she listed them:

1) excitement
2) delusions of grandeur
3) panic
4) compulsive eating
5) deliverance

This delighted me so much because it's so true! For me, number four is replaced with compulsive computer gaming (Sid Meier's Civ 4), but everything else is right on. I've experienced all these stages through every novel I've written, and I somehow never skip a step.

Do these ring true for you, too?

-Sonja

No comments: