Thursday, April 19, 2012

What's on my reading list this week

In my last post, I finished a rather long series on creating believable characters. While I contemplate what topic to cover next, I thought it'd be fun to share what's on my To-Read list this month:

Celebrity in Death by JD Robb
Cooking the Books by Kerry Greenwood
The Plot Whisperer by Martha Alderson
Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher 
Scent by Clint Kelly
All the Tess Gerritsen Rizzoli and Isles books
Seizure by Kathy Reichs
Love in a Nutshell by Janet Evanovich and Dorien Kelly
Taken by Robert Crais
The First 50 Pages by Jeff Gerke

It's a rather large stack (18 books total) but I think I can get through them before the library wants them back. The one I'm most looking forward to is Celebrity in Death, followed by Cooking the Books and Taken. I'm fairly certainI won't enjoy Love in a Nutshell (I don't appreciate romances) but I like Janet's writing style, so I'm going to give it a shot. I'm also not sure I'll enjoy Thirteen Reasons Why, mostly because of the subject matter (teen suicide), but I read some awesome reviews, so I thought I'd give it a try. I'll let you know on that one.

Clint Kelly will attend a writer's conference in May that I also attend each year, so I want to read his book before I get there. Jim Rubart will also be there, so I've got his books on hold at the library. They're also holding a Brandilyn Collins book for me, but she won't be at the conference this year.

Along with all this reading, I've started a new writing project. I'm deep in the research/outlining phase, so I'm not actually writing yet, but I'm in the Excitement Phase of the writing cycle (the five-stage cycle being Excitement, Delusions of Grandeur, Panic, Compulsive Eating, and Delivery) and that will eat into my reading time. As will my children, house maintenance, errands... life is terribly inconvenient. There's just not enough time for all the reading and writing I want to do.

-Sonja

No comments: